Professional Preventive Dentistry at John M. Purdy D.D.S.
What Is Preventive Dentistry?
Preventive dentistry involves establishing habits that will keep your teeth healthy help you avoid cavities, gum disease, enamel wear, and more. During your regular visit at John M. Purdy D.D.S., your dental hygienist will point out any issues that you may be having with your oral hygiene. Your hygienist will perform a cleaning, dental exam, an oral cancer exam, and take any necessary X-rays.
We will also evaluate the appearance of your teeth and recommend any aesthetic procedures that will enhance your smile, such as cosmetic or orthodontic procedures. Since we began serving patients in El Paso, TX as well as the surrounding areas, our goal has been a whole-body health approach.
What You Can Do to Prevent Tooth Decay
Establishing at-home oral hygiene habits is essential to keeping your teeth healthy. Brushing twice a day for at least two minutes and flossing after eating will help to remove plaque and decay. Plaque is difficult to remove and the best at-home habits may not be enough to keep it a bay. This is why it is so important to schedule regular dental visits and allow our trained staff of oral hygienists to catch any problems that may be lurking before they become serious.
How Can John M. Purdy D.D.S. Help
Here at John M. Purdy D.D.S., we provide a wide array of preventive care. Here are some of the services that we provide to our value patients in El Paso:
- Airfloss by Phillips Sonicare: a water flosser system that cleans plaque and food particles out from between the teeth, and it can be used with water or mouthwash.
- BreathRX: this mouthwash is designed to keep your breath fresh longer while also helping fight plaque and gum disease. BreathRx is alcohol-free, so it has all the breath and oral hygiene benefits without drying out your mouth and leaving it vulnerable to new bacterial growth.
- Occlusal Night Guards: sleep bruxism is a common problem and difficult to shake, so we can make you a custom occlusal night guard to protect your teeth from damage until the issue can be resolved.
- Oral B Toothbrush: great for removing food particles and plaque from your teeth and gums. An Oral B brush is much more effective at cleaning hard-to-reach areas and clears away 100 percent more plaque than manual brushes!
- Oral Cancer Screenings: early detection through oral cancer screenings have been shown to increase the survival rate to 80% and better, which is why it’s so important to have this simple test done.
- Silver Diamine Flouride: a compound that helps fight tooth decay in children who are especially vulnerable to it. The silver helps fight harmful microbes in your child’s mouth while strengthening the dentin layer of their teeth, and the fluoride fights and prevents tooth decay.
- Sonicare Toothbrush: breaks down plaque using sonic wave technology to vibrate as many as 30,000 cycles per minute. We particularly recommend these brushes for patients with gum recession or sensitive gums because they are so gentle on the gum tissue.
- Waterpik: a water flossing system that makes flossing fast, easy and effective. It does all of the work allowing you to have healthier gums and brighter teeth in only about a minute a day.
Help Us Help You Take Care of Your Teeth!
Our recommendation is to visit John M. Purdy D.D.S. twice a year for regular cleanings and preventive treatments. When you do this, we can detect any problems early, when they are much easier (and less costly) to fix.
If you live in El Paso and do not have an appointment scheduled, please reach out to us by calling (915) 593-1833 or sending us an email. Here at John M. Purdy D.D.S., we’re excited to help keep you healthy and happy! You can also learn more about us through our business page, and make sure to check the map before you come see your dentist in El Paso, TX, whether you’re going to the McRae office or the Mesa office.